- Aid in training/mentoring of other developers while also being excited to learn from others.
- Participate in requirements, architecture, and design discussions.
- Collaborate on design and architecture direction, with an eye toward short term flexibility while pushing for long-term gain.
- Provide technical leadership via knowledge and understanding of software design and architecture.
- Design, implement, and test high-availability systems for:
- Processing incoming telemetry data including geolocation
- Mapping and correlation of location data
- Application of geofence-based rules for notification
- Managing business relationships that allow sharing of assets
- Enabling secure access to both web-based UIs and APIs
- Support customer issues and requests along with the rest of the team.
- Use the existing code base to gather knowledge and understanding of current functions.
- Use and implement AWS-focused solutions including deployment (DevOps) mechanisms.
Knowledge and Skills
- API design and development experience with priority given to GraphQL knowledge.
- Understanding of and ability to explain standard programming techniques (OOP, functional, etc).
- Ability to discuss business concerns and relate to technological ones.
- Material experience writing, testing, deploying, and maintaining applications deployed to a cloud-based infrastructure. Should be able to argue for and against different architectural options (microservices, monolith, etc.)
- Confidence using software version control systems to organize and parallelize development efforts.
Preferred to Have
- Experience with Ruby on Rails in multiple versions.
- Understanding of different data storage mechanisms, including RDBMS (specifically PostgreSQL) and key/value cache (specifically Redis), as well as the tradeoffs involved in making choices between them.
- Experience with message-based systems (message bus, message streaming, pub/sub, etc.).
- Knowledge of AWS product offerings and deployment mechanisms. Kubernetes (EKS) is a specific preference.
- Experience working with identity platforms like Okta and Auth0.
- Solid understanding of and experience with Agile/Lean values & principles and related methods.
- Experience with data analytics and reporting systems.
Nice to Have
- Experience with GIS software (specifically PostGIS, shapefiles, KML, MapServer, OpenLayers).
- Experience in IoT development.
- GPS device or other embedded systems/hardware background.
- Experience with any of the following: Docker, Kafka, Resque, RESTful services.Familiarity with Terraform/Terragrunt and/or other “infrastructure as code” technologies.
- Experience with Looker or similar business intelligence and visualization products.